Monday, April 05, 2010

Considerations

For some reason or the other, was standing in line for a taxi with a Slurpee in my hand, desperately tring to suck the last bits of green fuzz through a straw.
Maybe their words were rather harsh
Halfway, I absentmindedly listened to the conversation of the Chinese couple behind me. Translated, it went something like this:
But surely you'd agree their being brash
Jia: Not having a daughter is one of my biggest regrets.
Yi: Why?
Jia: Because if I had a daughter, she could marry a rich man and be well off. Rather than marry a poor guy and suffer for the rest of her life. Then I bring her up and she suffers. If she wants to marry, she'll only marry a rich guy - if she asks to marry a poor guy, I'll say no.
Yi: What if she doesn't marry?
Jia: Then she stays with me and keeps me company what. *laughs*
Was born out of some sort of desperation
While understandably one can see the rationale behind this thinking... can one shake the feeling something's wrong here?
For their boss-friend's financial compensation
... I don't even know if its a joke or not.
And so I stand - or type - before you today
Sigh. The most ironic thing is that I was talking about it mere hours ago: naive thinking versus the cold reality of things. The simple answer is that this world usually isn't what we'd like to think it is, no matter how I try to see it through rose-tinted glasses.
In a rather odd and wordy sort of way
I like to think I have a unique perspective: I'm not a full-blown cynic, but I recognize too many flaws in society and such today to be labelled a full-blown optimist, either. Highly cynical of politics, highly optimistic of relationships, I think my mind didn't bother when they were giving out such labels.
The point that I am still trying to make
---
Something must be done before it's too late
On a slightly related note, I realised that posts on this blog oscillate between serious social commentaries, banal recountings of what-happened-today, cryptic notes and the lowest form of wit.
From To The Administration
I'm either schizo, can't make up my mind, or both. Or wait...
Starting Regret, 23 Feb 2010
---

Someone commented I was weird today. I shrugged. LALALALA -

---

Yeah, so, in any case. Social commentary.

It's indeed kind of sad.
I suppose that's what comes of trying to philosophise at 1 am in the morning.

No comments:


Links


Baifeng
Benjamin Ng
Bing Heng
Bowie
b.u.r.n.
Dah Wei
Daniel
Darion
Gary
Hong Nan
Kah Hong
Kah How
Kuan Yue
Li Ki
Luey Chi
Jun An
Jek Jin
Jia Kun
Pearl
Shaun Khoo
Shawn Teo
Shawn Teo [stories]
Song Sim
Tracy
Tracy
[teapartyconversations]

Wei Jing
Yee Jiunn
Yong Xiang
Zhi Cong
Zheng Hao
Zi Cong

heartsunite an african aid blog

Any other links, please tag.