Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Connection

OKAY HELLO I'M BACK

In my defence I spent the past two weeks with virtually no (read: none) internet access, so I apologize that I haven't updated since then.
So to remedy that, here's a long post I typed while taking lunch from work. Yep, all in the space of ten minutes of frantic typing. Conjoined to it is a post composed after work, at the same connection-failed McDonalds.

Enjoy! Please do tag -

---

At time of writing this is my precious little break time from work, and I am currently spending it in a MacDonalds frantically trying to connect to the wireless network. Yes, the plight of the Internet-depraved.

After 10 minutes of frantic jabbing and a tortorously slow Internet connection, I managed to load my email log-in page and tried 3 times to enter. On the third time it worked, only to come up with another of the eternally "Loading..." phenomenon, closely related to the loading screen singularity.

And then the connection died. ._.

Anyway. So I know I will post this up at a later time - hopefully tomorrow - but I apologise for the lack of posts. Okay back to work.

---

Five and a half hours later and I'm back at practically the same spot in the same McDonalds trying to set up an internet connection. I've moved a little thinking it'll help my connection.

Apparently I've moved in the wrong direction ._.

At work I've had my hard work praised, my bumbling carefully pointed out, my ignorance magnified, and my sexuality questioned.

Yes those who just skimmed over that previous paragraph, look again.

Yeah I will raise my hand and admit I've never had a girlfriend (although my junior's junior's juniors have had a couple, and that little kid on the talent show had one), I don't enjoy shopping, I don't usually watch movies or go out to LAN.

Someone commented I had a boring life, I disagreed.

Funnily enough, this connects back to what Liki said - what constitutes "having a life"? Just because I don't have the normal expected consumeristic (cue shouts of "communist!") tendencies, nor natural hormonal fluctuations, doesn't mean I'm any less life than any of you.

Although it makes me miles weirder.

And I'll take that xD

In fact, to me, most of the world is weird. I doubt I will ever understand the sudden urge to splurge hard-earned money on something just because of a couple of letters printed across it, or being romantically interested (the latter for now, at the very least).

Honestly a lot of human behviour nowadays kind of boggles me.

So perhaps I'm not weirder, I'm just seeing the world in a different light.

So next time, when you realise I have no fashion sense, ability of perception of "beauty", romantic interest in all three sexes (male sex, female sex and insects), please do understand I'm just a little weirder; no need for me to get in your way.

---

Yay work and nine hours of listening to the same Christmas disgusting Santa Claus carols over and over again.

I have now developed an extreme dislike of "Here Comes Santa Claus" but secretly smile and sing along to "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus".

At least my workplace is sensible enough to occasionally play something else other than hymns involving Santy Claus. I particularly look forward to the jazz rendition of "It's My Life". This repetoire includes the song Quando Quando Quando.

And when I'm bored out of my skull, or hungry and waiting for lunch, and over the intercom "Every moment seems a day... Every day seems a lifetime..." is soothingly played over the speakers I can't help but wonder if the management purposely chose that song.

But now for a small discussion on something rather close to our hearts - romance.

Specifically, romance in kiddie films.

I found it - and still do find it - incredibly irritating. There are some good ones, or some films that don't require ridiculously contrived smooching to make the show successful, but more often than not I am extremely skeptical of any love scenes.

Imagine then, my joy and surprise when Madagascar didn't feature a single love scene. And it wasn't half bad, too. Admittedly the friendship thing was clinche but at least it was quite well done.

And then Madagascar 2 showed up featuring an utterly unneeded and cringeworthy inter-species romance. My jaw dropped more than King Julian's when he realised that a shark followed him 3 kilometers inland. In a forest. And through a desert.

I mean come on.

Some are okay, like maybe Shrek. And at least the idea of romance is kinda interesting there, like human/ogre-ogre love, and the idea of appearence vs. reality (or something to that effect). Or Mulan in the first movie, where it was actually OK and not all mushy mushy.
Although I don't have a love life to speak of I don't mind others having it, and this extends to cartoon characters.

So long as it's not incredibly stupid.

That's why I'm actually afraid of my favourites falling into the clutches of Hollywood or something, because they have a track record of screwing things up.

And not with romance, then with overdramatisation. Like the upcoming Sherlock Holmes, which I am already skeptical by just seeing the advertisment, which seems to place the sole emphasis of the story on Holmes' previous boxing career. And I won't be surprised if they try to hook Holmes up with his landlady Mrs Hudson. Or Watson's sister. Or Watson.

I rarely have a bone to pick with films (or practically anything, except poorly constructed arguments) because I recognize the enormous amount of hard work that goes behind scriptwriting, acting/animating and execution. Buuuut I think that this little segment in scriptwriting, which could have such horrible knock-on consequences, could have a little more effort dedicated to it, to be avoided.

All in all, love scenes and all those should be well thought out, especially when you're catering to kids. Like, seriously. If well done, it can be thought-provoking (cue Mulan/Shang) or at least funny (cue Madagascar penguin/bobble doll) but if not it could be horrible (cue hippo/giraffe) and at worst cause rectal leakage and vomiting (cue Holmes/his left hand).

For now, here's a little tidbit and hopefully some inspiration for future film directors and scriptwriters. Cheerio.

I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus
Underneath the mistletoe last night
She didn't see me creep
Down the stairs to have a peek
She thouht I was tucked in my bedroom fast asleep

I saw Mommy tickle Santa Claus
Underneath his beard so snowy white
Oh what it could have been
If Daddy had only seen
Mommy tickling Santa Claus last night

No comments:


Links


Baifeng
Benjamin Ng
Bing Heng
Bowie
b.u.r.n.
Dah Wei
Daniel
Darion
Gary
Hong Nan
Kah Hong
Kah How
Kuan Yue
Li Ki
Luey Chi
Jun An
Jek Jin
Jia Kun
Pearl
Shaun Khoo
Shawn Teo
Shawn Teo [stories]
Song Sim
Tracy
Tracy
[teapartyconversations]

Wei Jing
Yee Jiunn
Yong Xiang
Zhi Cong
Zheng Hao
Zi Cong

heartsunite an african aid blog

Any other links, please tag.