Saturday, January 10, 2009

Inexcusable

I'd like to comment on the recent events at the EP3 Orientation. All those not looking for somewhere to vent their frustrations, you can stop reading now and I won't blame you.
But you still must tag yeah.

---

Jokes aside, on the day of EP3O itself, I heard about an incident that happened to liks and YC due to the actions of some random idiot. I was shocked, to say the least, but dismissed it as one bad sheep out of many. Although I made a mental note to find the idiot responsible, YC or shakugan-san did say they had an idea who he was, so I decided to let them keep matters into their hands.

Then I heard from Steo earlier today about another incident involving a whole group of people, at other EP3s. And I came back and read shakugan-san's post on the issue. While shakugan-san is clearly not free from bias (nor am I) I think the issues were reported fairly enough?

Going according to his numbering:

1. An EP3 had prepared barbequed chicken wings as an exercise in showing campfires or something. This, I believe, was unprecedented - I can't see us providing free duck rice to everyone, seriously. But they did.

And their thanks was that the group of people grabbed the best parts of chicken, yelled "TOO HOT", dropped it on the ground and kicked it towards the very people which provided them with food.

2. Another EP3 had prepared marshmallows over a fire. A group saw some marshmallows unattended, and proceeded to happily kop the lot.

Never mind that they didn't ask for permission, if they were really in a conspiracy against the seniors, they should at least have left some for other groups who hadn't come yet.

3. Someone came to our exhibition, spat in liks' bottle of water, and didn't declare it until he confirmed someone (YC) drank from it.

When shakugan-san confronted him and demanded for his index (albeit harshly), he refused to, until he was told he couldn't leave otherwise.

4. Yes, you have marvellous voices and clear pronounciation.

Still, you don't have to loudly proclaim an EP3 "shitty", "stupid", "fail", "wtf" and so on in front of the ExCos. At least, give them enough respect to do it behind their backs. Even we accord that respect to our most bitter opponents, and they us.

And where was the volume when we needed it at SOO?

5. One guy saw some female gymnasts practicing at the gym, and loudly yelled (I quote from shakugan-san) "HEY, I CAN SEE YOUR VAGINA".

Hooray, you have perfect 20/20 eyesight. Now go away and stop shaming the rest of us poor bespectacled people, hmm?

---

The first two are simply the lack of table manners. When someone treats you, you accept it, don't rush, say thank you. I don't know, if that's too much to ask, maybe not kicking food people have cooked for you around would be a start. And asking permission from others could also be a starting point. Now, this may be over your head a little, but just try it out.

The third one is just malicious. And it's personal. If maybe you're an exchange student, where spitting in other's drinks is part and parcel of your culture, then by all means, but at least have the courtesy to tell us first?

Oh wait, he's local?

Ah, hahahaha.

The fourth one is sheer disrespect. Look, we are open enough, but I think saying these things in front of the very people giving you the exhibit, that is stupidity. Never mind whether you can't keep it in for those 15minutes, or your mouth might burst like a bladder full of piss, saying it in front of these people is just asking to get whacked, isn't it?

It's like trying to steal stuff from a police station.
If you want to do these kind of things, can you be a bit more smart?

The fifth one - the fifth one is Inexcusable.

It's not an attack on ourselves, or your seniors, or your juniors, or your instructors, or the cooking...
It's a direct attack on other people. Of opposite sex. Of different institutions.

If anyone from that institution is reading [ha, what are the chances?],
Many apologies on behalf on the idiot.
...


HCMT people should know this. I have said repeatedly before, that if you try to do something, and you screw up, it's still forgivable. People can still rush to amend your mistake, and try to cover up for you. If it's on my watch, I for one will try to cover up for you, and try to explain to you later. Jsha and Irw have learnt this.

But do something stupid, such as say, attacking the equipment, no one can cover for you.

But these goes even beyond that, because it's not a piece of equipment (which you can replace), or others' equipment (which you can apologize, and replace), but it's a person, from another institution or not.

---

Childish, childish. I was childish. I still am.
But not malicious.

And even I had the brains to decide when to shut up when it concerned these things.

---

If you are one of those parties, tag. I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Fear not, I won't remove your tag - this is my promise to you.

I like to think I'm a fair person, and I try not to judge people.

Still, I realise it just... isn't fair, hmm? So... very...

Unsportsmanlike.






Come on then.


Defend yourself.


No comments:


Links


Baifeng
Benjamin Ng
Bing Heng
Bowie
b.u.r.n.
Dah Wei
Daniel
Darion
Gary
Hong Nan
Kah Hong
Kah How
Kuan Yue
Li Ki
Luey Chi
Jun An
Jek Jin
Jia Kun
Pearl
Shaun Khoo
Shawn Teo
Shawn Teo [stories]
Song Sim
Tracy
Tracy
[teapartyconversations]

Wei Jing
Yee Jiunn
Yong Xiang
Zhi Cong
Zheng Hao
Zi Cong

heartsunite an african aid blog

Any other links, please tag.